Thursday, January 12, 2012

2011 in the rearview, Martha Stewart* caught in the headlights

It was the best of times, it was the worst ... .

Actually, it was really pretty average. In non-food-related departments,  2011 was Year of Kids Sleeping All Night (for the most part). But 2012 is Year of Mom Responsible for Only Her Own Potty Needs. And it is starting to look like it might be Year of Potty Words, and not just from the mouths of babes.

But more important than all that is the food-related department: 2012 is shaping up to be the year my kitchen becomes more like a kitchen than a closet.  New fridge has arrived, ovens are in the delivery queue. I am so excited, I can't even feel my husband's hairy eyeball boring a hole in the back of my head. (Yes, God bless him, he does have enough to do already.)

In the latest edition of Martha Stewart Living magazine, we are treated to a peek inside Martha's "dream room."  It is the central room in a building previously referred to as the Goat Shed, hearkening back to a time when goats lived better--or at least in more sq. ft.--than the average middle class family in Bedford, New York. Her dream room is called the home-keeping room.  The room Martha devotes to organization and storage of her cleaning products (her own label cleaning products, of course) is roomier and better apportioned than any of the rooms or combination of rooms I currently devote to home/self/kid/husband/pet/garden/vehicle-keeping. But we do tend to expand to fit our budgets, don't we? Kate's dream foodkeeping room will be re-invented on a scale and budget suited to the income and time constraints of single-earner family with a zero-waste agenda. 

Now, I don't like Martha's personal style, and I am personally embarrassed by her criminal record.  But I do admit that she has something I want.  Although I don't envy her money, her vast country estate, or her corporate empire, I am man enough to admit that I would benefit greatly by her impeccable organization and endless list of lists. Tune into LizziesChocolateCake.com to witness the transformation of my so-called kitchen into a truly usable space. A space that will be "very practical and a pleasant place to spend time too" while "making everyday tasks easier," as Martha says, believable or not, of her homekeeping room.


*As my regular readers can attest, I am not a Martha fan or detractor. Wandering around the food and publishing world as I do, one can't help but bump into her.  She is omnimedia, personified.  She is everywhere.  "I see Martha ... all the time."


1 comment:

  1. What's the blog-comment equivalent of a hairy eyeball?

    <*>

    Twas a nice year to review, nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete