Thursday, January 26, 2012

Need a Break? Take the Kids Out!

Never thought you'd hear that out of my mouth? If you'd seen my sinkful of dirty dishes at yesterday's meeting of the Mom Pool, you'd understand. I am talking a giant mound of food-encrusted plates, pots and pans that completely hid my family-sized stainless steel basin. Yes, even I need to escape my domestic bliss and be waited on now and then.

On these occasions, we love Mad Mex!  We loved it as dinks (for the uninitiated: double income no kids) because they have excellent Tex-Mex, an impressive beer list, beautiful/bizarre artwork by local favorites, and great Muzak. We were surprised that we could also love it as bedraggled parents of two loud fussy eaters (ages 3 and 5).  They have the best kids menu with many fabulous choices other than mac/cheese and chicken nuggets (although they have those, too).

As soon as we are seated, the kids are served (each their own) appetizers of carrot and celery sticks with ranch dressing, and, to be honest, if they eat that I am happy. But usually they eat that and part or most of a quesadilla or taco with sides of rice and veggies. Plus tiny brownie sundaes for dessert. The kids food is actually quite good.  I sometimes just order guacamole (which is excellent) and eat it with the quesadilla half I end up eating from my 5 year old's plate.  Meanwhile, my husband gets to order something spicy hot and the kids don't pester him for it.  The wait staff is always young and hip and good with kids, even if it means showing (and explaining) their tattoos and piercings. They are also usually good about not mentioning the free desserts or chocolate milk without subtly asking the parents first. The only trick I had to discover was not ordering the chips and salsa up front.  That usually derails the entrees. I order it as a side to come with my meal and specify just "on the side" and not in a basket.

As for keeping the kids in their seats, we engage in who-can-eat-more eating contests with the carrots and celery.  The first time we went with both kids, they were offered these etch-a-sketch wannabe toys which were promptly and firmly rejected in favor of Dad's eating contest idea. (Which is no small miracle. Crunchy things that aren't chips? Nobody would ever eat that at home!)

And lastly, because my three year old is still into the unsolicited brain-splitting squeal-scream, the noise and somewhat ruckus atmosphere of Mad Mex covers a variety of outbursts, both happy and sad. The last time we went, we sat in the outdoor bar area (smoking prohibited), and it was so relaxing that Dad and I both commented that it felt like we were at the beach (instead of a Cranberry Twp. strip mall.)

Do I sound like an advertisement? Sorry. Just sayin'... . There are kid-friendly eating out choices that don't conflict with my entire mommagenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment